Agriculture education in IARI started in 1923 with two-year Post-Graduate Course leading to Diploma of Associateship of IARI (Associate IARI) in the disciplines of Agricultural Bacteriology, Agricultural Botany, Agricultural Chemistry, Agronomy, Entomology, Horticulture, Mycology and Sugarcane Breeding
- Diploma course was recognized as equivalent to the M.SC. degree of Indian Universities by the Ministry of education in 1949
- Institute was granted the status of a Deemed to be University in 1958 (Under UGC Act 1956) and diploma was replaced with M.Sc. and Ph.D.
- Central College of Agriculture was merged with IARI in 1951
- IARI was under the direct administrative control of the Ministry of Food and Agriculture till 1951 and worked in close cooperation with ICAR
- IARI was perhaps the first institution in the country to adopt the course credit system of instruction modeled after the Land Grant College of USA
- As of now, IARI is offering M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in 26 disciplines at the main campus and M.Sc. in selected disciplines at IARI, Assam and Jharkhand campuses. Institute is also offering Ph.D. in selected disciplines at CIAE, Bhopal and IIHR, Bengaluru
- M.Sc. in selected disciplines at NIASM Baramati, NIBSM, Raipur and IIAB Ranchi from the academic year 2020-21