M.Sc. : Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
Ph.D : ICAR- Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi.
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Plant Pathology
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 03
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Bansal S, Mallikarjuna MG, Reddy B, Balamurugan A, Achary VMM, Reddy MK, Kumar A and Prakash G*. 2023. Characterization and Validation of Hypothetical Virulence Factors in Recently Sequenced Genomes of Magnaporthe species. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 124 (2023)101969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmpp.2023.101969. (NAAS rating: 8.74)
- Shilpi Bansal, Mallana Gowdra Mallikarjuna, Alexander Balamurugan, S Chandra Nayaka, Ganesan Prakash* (2022). Composition and Codon Usage Pattern Results in Divergence of the Zinc Binuclear Cluster (Zn(II)2Cys6) Sequences among Ascomycetes Plant Pathogenic Fungi. Journal of Fungi. 8(11), 1134; https://doi.org/10.3390/jof8111134. (NAAS rating: 11.82)
- Prakash Ganesan*, Kumar Aundy, Neelam Sheoran, Rashmi Aggarwal, Chikkara Surendra, Arpita Ghosh and Rakesh Kumar Jain (2019). First Draft Genome of Pearl millet blast pathogen, Magnaporthe grisea PMg_Dl isolate Obtained Using PacBio Single-Molecule and Illumina NextSeq500 Sequencing. Microbiol Resour Announc 8:e01499- 18. https://doi.org/10.1128/ MRA.01499- 18.
- Chattopadhyay, A. Purohit, J. Mehta, S. Parmar, H. Karippadakam, S. Rashid, A.; Balamurugan, A. Bansal, S.; Prakash, Ganesan*. Achary, V.M.M. et al. (2022). Precision Genome Editing Toolbox: Applications and Approaches for Improving Rice’s Genetic Resistance to Pathogens. Agronomy 2022, 12, 565. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy12030565. (NAAS rating: 9.42).
- Bhaskar Reddy, Aundy Kumar, Sahil Mehta, Neelam Sheoran, Viswanathan Chinnusamy, Ganesan Prakash* (2021). Hybrid de novo genome-reassembly reveals new insights on pathways and pathogenicity determinants in rice blast pathogen Magnaporthe oryzae RMg_Dl. Scientific Reports. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-01980-2. (NAAS rating: 10.38).
- Neelam Sheoran, Prakash Ganesan, Mughal Najeeb M, Inderjit Singh Yadav, Kumar Aundy (2021) Genome assisted molecular typing and pathotyping of rice blast pathogen, Magnaporthe oryzae, reveals a genetically homogenous population with high virulence diversity. Fungal Biology (Elsevier). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2021.04.007. (NAAS rating: 9.10).
- Sankar, S.M., Singh, S.P., Prakash, G., Satyavathi, C.T., Soumya S.L. Yadav, Y., Sharma, L.D., Rao, A.R., Singh, N and Srivastava R.K (2021). Deciphering Genotype-By-Environment Interaction for Target Environmental Delineation and Identification of Stable Resistant Sources Against Foliar Blast Disease of Pearl Millet. Frontiers in Plant Science17 May 2021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2021.656158 (NAAS rating: 11.75).
- Bhaskar Reddy, Sahil Mehta, Ganesan Prakash, Neelam Sheoran, Aundy Kumar (2022). Structured Framework and Genome Analysis of Magnaporthe grisea Inciting Pearl Millet Blast Disease Reveals Versatile Metabolic Pathways, Protein Families, and Virulence Factors . Journal of Fungi. 8(6), 614; https://doi.org/10.3390/jof8060614. (NAAS rating: 11.82)
- G. Prakash*, R.T.P. Pandian, H. Rajashekara, Pratibha Sharma and U.D. Singh, and (2015). Assessment of efficacy of pesticides applied singly and in combination on rice sheath blight disease development. Indian Phytopathology. 68 (3): 248-253.
- G. Prakash*, U.D. Singh, P. Sharma and R.T.P. Pandian (2013). Evaluation of pesticides against rice sheath blight caused by Rhizoctonia solani. Indian Phytopathology. 66 (4): 351-355.
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- Developed and validated genome edited rice plants (βpld1gene) in BPT 5204 Background for blast resistance.
- Associated in developing the blast disease resistant rice varieties viz., Pusa Basmati 1637, Pusa Samba 1850, Pusa 1884, Pusa Basmati 1847, Pusa Basmati 1885 and Pusa Basmati 1886.
- Whole genome of Magnaporthe oryzae (RMg_Dl) infecting rice and Magnaporthe grisea (PMg_Dl) infecting pearl millet (first report) were sequenced using hybrid approach (Illumina and Pac Bio sequencing).
- Identified the novel putative host specific virulence gene(s) in rice blast and pearl millet blast pathogens.
- Studied the population biology and genetic analysis of blast pathogen, Magnaporthe oryzae infecting rice and Magnaporthe grisea infecting pearl millet utilizing genomic data.
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- Nanaji Desmukh ICAR Award for Outstanding Interdisciplinary Team Research in Agricultural and Allied Sciences 2021 by Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- M.K. Patel Memorial Young Scientist Award (2020) by Indian Phytopathological Society, New Delhi
- Best Multidisciplinary Research Award in Pearl millet (2015-2018) for IARI, New Delhi by ICAR-All India Coordinated Research project on Pearl Millet (2018).
- Certification of Recognition by Indian Phytopathological society for serving as a Zonal Councilor (Delhi zone) (2016)
- Recognition for Multi-Disciplinary Research Involving Basic, Strategic and Applied Research in Different Disciplines of Agriculture in IARI with respect to Pearl Millet (2019-20)