M.Sc. : M.Sc. (Ag.) from Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur
Ph.D : Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Plant Pathology
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 2
Ph.D : Guided 4, Guiding 3
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Dauda, W.P., Shanmugam, V*., Tyagi, A., Solanke, A.U., Kumar, V., Krishnan, G., Bashyal, B.M. and Aggarwal, R. (2022). Genome-wide identification and characterisation of Cytokinin-O-glucosyltransferase (CGT) genes of rice specific to potential pathogens. Plants. 29;11(7):91 https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11070917
- Dauda, W.P., Rana, V.S., Solanke, A.U., Gopala Krishnan, S., Bashyal, B.M., Aggarwal, R. and Shanmugam, V*. (2022). Metabolomic analysis of sheath blight disease of rice (Oryza sativa L.) induced by Rhizoctonia solani phytotoxin. 133:3215-3227. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 133(5):3215-3227 https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.15776
- Dauda, W.P., Rana, V.S., and Shanmugam, V*. (2022). Identification of a new phytotoxic compound from culture filtrates of an aggressive Rhizoctonia solani AG 1A isolate inducing sheath blight of rice. 62:1346-1359. Journal of Basic Microbiology. 62(11):1346-1359 https://doi.org/10.1002/jobm.202200399 8.65
- Dauda, W.P, Shanmugam, V*, and Tyagi, A (2023). Biocontrol of sheath blight of rice (Oryza sativa L.) through alteration in expression dynamics of candidate effector genes of Rhizoctonia solani AG1-IA during pathogenesis. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 23;76(1):ovac008
- Pothiraj, G., Husaain, Z., Singh, A.K., Solanke, A.U., Aggarwal, R., Ramesh, R. and Shanmugam, V. (2021). Characterisation of Fusarium spp. inciting vascular wilt of tomato and its management by a Chaetomium-based biocontrol consortium. Frontiers in Plant Science 12:748013. 19;12:748013. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2021.748013
- Shanmugam, V., Veena, K.H., Jain, S Aggarwal, R and Ilakkiyaselvan, G. (2019). Understanding the role of uncharacterized and hypothetical pathogenicity genes of Colletotrichum orbiculare to oxidative stress and phenolics of cucumber plant in anthracnose development. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 57: 899-907.
- Shanmugam, V., Sharma, V., Bharti, P., Jyoti, P., Yadav, S.K., Aggarwal, R. and Jain, S. (2017). RNAi induced silencing of pathogenicity genes of Fusarium spp. for vascular wilt management in tomato. Annals of Microbiology 67(5): 359-369
- Shanmugam, V., Chugh, P. and Sharma, P (2015). Cold-tolerant Trichoderma species for the management of Fusarium wilt of tomato plants. Annals of Microbiology. 65:543–551.
- Singh, N.A. and Shanmugam, V. (2012). Cloning and characterization of a bifunctional glycosyl hydrolase from an antagonistic Pseudomonas putida strain P3(4). Journal of Basic Microbiology 52:340-349.
- Sharma, V., Bhandari, P., Singh, B., Bhatacharya, A. and Shanmugam, V. (2013). Chitinase expression due to reduction in fusaric acid level in an antagonistic Trichoderma harzianum S17TH. Indian Journal of Microbiology 53: 214-220.
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- Carrier-based formulations of potential biocontrol agents for the management of soil-borne diseases of tomato, gladiolus and ginger under field conditions
- An efficient gene silencing strategy for functional analysis of putative pathogenicity genes: Fow2 ( Zn(II)2Cys6-type transcription regulator) and chsV (class V chitin synthase) of Fusarium spp. infecting tomato
- Transgenic tomato lines expressing hairpin RNAi constructs to down-regulate Fow2 and chsV (host induced-RNAi, HD-RNAi) for Fusarium wilt control
- Associated with the development of an ICAR-NAE software on Web application on the phytochemical knowledge-based system for crop protection
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- DST Fast Track Project for Young Scientists
- Biotechnology Overseas Long-Term Associateship by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India.
- Fellow of the Indian Phytopathological Society (FIPS)
- Society of Plant Protection Sciences Fellow (SPPSF)
- Fellow of the Society for Biocontrol Advancement (FSBA)