M.Sc. : University of Agril.Sciences, GKVK, Bengaluru
Ph.D : PG School, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, PUSA, New Delhi
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Plant Pathology
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 02 as the guide and 8 as AC member
Ph.D : 2 as AC member
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Sahana N, Kaur H., Basavaraj, Tena F, Jain RK, Palukaitis, Peter; Canto, Tomas; Praveen, Shelly (2012) Inhibition of the Host Proteasome Facilitates Papaya Ringspot Virus Accumulation and Proteosomal Catalytic Activity Is Modulated by Viral Factor HcPro. PLoS ONE. 7(12): e52546. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0052546
- Basavaraj, Ashwinikumar, Holkar, S.K., Jain, R.K. and Mandal B. 2017. First Report of Groundnut bud necrosis virus infecting Periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus) in India. Plant Disease. 101(8): 1559. doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-02-17-0259-PDN
- Holkar, S. K., Basavaraj, Y.B. Mandal, B. and Jain, R. K. 2018. Optimization of a more efficient protocol for mechanical inoculation for watermelon bud necrosis orthotospovirus and its validation with different watermelon genotypes. Crop Protection. 108: 110-119.
- Singh, A., Permar, V., Basavaraj, Bhoopal, S.T. and Praveen, S. 2018. Effect of Temperature on Symptoms Expression and Viral RNA Accumulation in Groundnut Bud Necrosis Virus Infected Vigna unguiculata. Iranian J. Biotechnol. 16(3): 227-234.
- Chaudhary, M., Verma, S., Kumar, A., Basavaraj, Y.B., Tiwari, P., Singh, S., Chauhan, S.K., Kumar, P. and Singh, S.P., 2021. Graphene oxide based electrochemical immunosensor for rapid detection of groundnut bud necrosis orthotospovirus in agricultural crops. Talanta, 235, p.122717.
- Gupta, D., Singh, O.W., Basavaraj, Y.B., Roy, A., Mukherjee, S.K. and Mandal, B., 2021. Direct Foliar Application of dsRNA derived from the full-length gene of NSs of groundnut bud necrosis virus limits virus accumulation and symptom expression. Frontiers in Plant Science, 12, p.734618.
- Rai, A., Basavaraj, Y.B., Sadashiva, A.T., Reddy, M.K., Ravishankar, K.V., Hussain, Z., Venugopalan, R., Kambham, M.R. 2020. Evaluation of tomato genotypes for resistance to bud necrosis disease caused by Groundnut bud necrosis tospovirus (GBNV). Crop Protection. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2019.105074
- Ghosh, A., Basavaraj, Y.B., Jangra, S. and Das, A. 2019. Exposure to watermelon bud necrosis virus and groundnut bud necrosis virus alters the life history traits of their vector, Thrips palmi (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). Archives of Virology. 164: 2799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-019-04381-z
- Basavaraj, Y.B., Siwach, J., Kumar, A., Bhattarai, A., Qayoom, N., Baranwal, V.K. and Jain, R.K., 2020. First report of natural infection by capsicum chlorosis virus on amaryllis (Hippeastrum hybridum) plants from India. Plant Disease, 104(11), pp.3086-3086.
- Kumar, A., Rout, B.M., Choudhary, S., Sureja, A.K., Baranwal, V.K., Pant, R.P., Kaur, B., Jain, R.K. and Basavaraj, Y.B., 2022. First report of Cucurbit chlorotic yellows virus infecting pumpkin in India. Plant Disease, 106(6).
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- Methodology for mass rearing Thrips palmi, the vector of tospovirsuses on soil-less media and vector-mediated transmission of groundnut bud necrosis virus (GBNV) & watermelon bud necrosis virus (WBNV)
- Methodology for evaluation of watermelon genotypes for resistance to watermelon bud necrosis virus (WBNV) through mechanical sap-transmission
- Optimized methodology for inducing GBNV infection in tomato, chilli, tobacco and cowpea plants under controlled conditions through mechanical sap-transmission as well as high-pressure spray gun inoculation to evaluate the genotypes for resistance.
- A multiplex RT-PCR assay system for simultaneous detection of three most prevalent tospoviruses in India (GBNV, WBNV & Capsicum chlorosis virus-CaCV)
- Identified the source of resistant to WBNV in watermelon.
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- IVS Young Scientist Award by Indian Virological Society in 2018
- Early Career Research (ECR) Project Award by DST-SERB (GoI) in 2018
- Best Oral Paper Presentation Award in the 7th International Conference on �Phytopathology in Achieving UN Sustainable Development Goals� at ICAR-IARI, New Delhi, India from January 16-20, 2020.
- Best Oral Paper Presentation Award in the Indian Virological Society, International Conference of Virology (VIROCON 2020) on Evolution of Viruses & Viral Diseases. February 18-20, 2020.
- Best Oral Paper Presentation Award in the Indian Phytopathological Society, 8th International Conference (Hybrid Mode) of on “Plant Pathology: Retrospect and Prospects” organized at Sri K Narendra Agriculture University, Jobner-Jaipur (India) during March 23-26, 2022.