M.Sc. : Orissa University of Agric. & Techn. (OUAT), Orissa (1993) Gold Medalist
Ph.D : Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi (1998)
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Entomology
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 3 completed
Ph.D : 4 completed + 5 continuing
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Shivaji H, Thube, Mahapatro GK*, Chandrika M, Pandian TP, Elain Apshara and Jose CT (2020) Biology, feeding and oviposition preference of the tea mosquito bug, Helopeltistheivora, with notes on the distribution of Helopeltis spp. across elevation gradients in cocoa ecosystems. Animal Biology, 70: 67-79. June 2019. Online published. DOI: 10.1163/15707563-20191083. (NAAS, 7.23) *Chairman of Ph D thesis.
- Chandrashekar K, Dubey AK, Abhishek V, Mahapatro GK* (2021) Occurrence of exotic whitefly, Paraleyrodes minei Iaccarino (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) and other whitefly species on fruit crops in Maharashtra, India. 3 Biotech 11(6): DOI:10.1007/s13205-021-02831-7 (8.89)
- Punam Kumari, Mahapatro GK, Nirupama Banerjee and Neera Sarin (2015). A novel pilin subunit from Xenorhabdus nematophila, an insect pathogen, confers pest resistance in tobacco and tomato. Plant Cell Reports, 34(11): 1863-1872. DOI: 10.1007/s00299-015-1833-6. (10.96)
- Punam Kumari, Mahapatro GK, Nirupama Banerjee and Neera Sarin (2015). Ectopic expression of GroEL from Xenorhabdus nematophilain tomato enhances resistance against Helicoverpaarmigera and salt and thermal stress. Transgenic Research, 24: 859-873. DOI: 10.1007/s11248-015-9881-9 (9.15)
- Punam Kumari, Sashi Kant, Shazmira Zaman, Mahapatro GK, Nirupama Banerjee and Neera Bhalla Sarin (2014) A novel insecticidal GroEL protein from Xenorhabdus nematophila confers insect resistance in tobacco. Transgenic Research, 23: 99�107. DOI: 10.1007/s11248-013-9734-3. (9.15)
- Mahapatro GK, Debajyoti C and Gautam RD (2017) Indian indigenous traditional knowledge (ITK) on termites: ecofriendly approaches to sustainable management. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 16 (2), 333-340. http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/40087 (6.92)
- Mahapatro GK (2016) Can insecticide resistance be developed in termites? Current Science, 112 (6): 1097-1098. (7.17)
- Mahapatro GK and Madhumita Panigrahi (2014) Endosulfan issue: science verses conscience. Current Science, 106 (2): 152-155. (7.17)
- Mahapatro GK and Madhumita Panigrahi (2013) The case for banning endosulfan. Current Science, 104 (11): 1476-1479. (7.17)
- Sandeep Kumar, Suby SB, Pashupat Vasmatkar, Suresh Nebapure, Naveen Kumar, GK Mahapatro* (2023) Influence of temperature on insecticidal toxicity and detoxifying enzymes to Spodoptera frugiperda. Phytoparasitica. DOI : 10.1007/s12600-023-01058-x (7.81)
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- PATENT (IPA No 1618/DEL/2008); Publication Date: 16/04/2010. The Patent Office Journal, Part I, 16th, page no.15. (Co-inventor): Methodology and composition of artificial diet for mass rearing of lepidopteran pests (in particular Helicoverpa armigera, Spo
- Cashew hybrid - 'Poornima' (H 1593)(State Variety Release Committee, Kerala). Team work, in 2007.
'Pusa Madhu' (PS-3) - Ringspot virus tolerant papaya variety approved for Delhi NCR in 2021.
- Pioneer study of Ant-technology in India in cashew. Articles in Curr. Sci., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. India Sect. B., Cashew Bulletin, & Cover-page, Cashew Week (www.commodityIndia.com).
- Pusa Push Pull Strategy (Climate-smart, conservation-smart, carbon-smart and cash-smart, 4C): an eco-technology for termite management in wheat-maize agro-ecosystem. Validated successfully in the field.
- Website exclusively on Termites, www.termitexpert.in, launched in 2017, has gained > 8.05 lakh hits, a milestone achievement for any individual project.
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- National Fellow ICAR, selected by Search-cum-Selection Committee of ICAR; for the project: Environmentally sustainable termite control: integrative & inclusive approach of frontier and indigenous technologies (National Fellow project 2011-17)
- Bharat Jyoti Award (2011) Conferred by Former Governor of TN & Assam.
- (i) Fellow of Entomological Society of India (F.E.S.I.) since 2007. (ii) SPPS Fellow Award (2015) Society of Plant Protection Sciences, IARI New Delhi.
- Eminent Scientist Award - 2022 (awarded by SARSD, New Delhi).
- Member in the Beekeeping Development Committee, Subcommitee-1 (States Maharashtra & Gujarat)(Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister).