M.Sc. : Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University, Guntur, India.
Ph.D : University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru, India.
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Entomology
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 7
Ph.D : 1
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Shashank, P.R., Rani, A. T., Devi, S. R., & Meshram, N. M. (2023). Morphological Characterization of the Antennal Sensilla of the Legume Pod Borer, Maruca vitrata (Fabricius)(Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Microscopy and Microanalysis, ozad097.
- Abalavadi Thammaiah, R., Shashank P.R.*, S., Meshram, N., Kammar, V., Majumder, S., Srivastava, C., Pandey, K. and Singh, J., 2022. Morphological characterization and distribution of antennal sensilla of Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner)(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) using scanning electron microscopy. Microscopy Research and Technique, 85(4), pp.1371-1391.
- Shashank, P.R.*, Twinkle, S., Chandrashekar, K., Meshram, N.M., Suroshe, S. S., and Bajracharya, A.S.R. 2018. Genetic homogeneity in South American tomato pinworm, Tuta absoluta: a new invasive pest to oriental region. 3 Biotech, 8(8): 350.
- Shashank, P.R*, Kammar, V., Mally, R., and Chakravarthy, A. 2018. A new Indian species of shoot and capsule borer of the genus Conogethes (Lepidoptera: Crambidae), feeding on cardamom. Zootaxa, 4374(2): 215-234.
- Shashank, P. R., Naveena, N. L., Rajgopal, N. N., Elliott, T. A., Sreedevi, K., Sunil, S., & Meshram, N. M. 2022. DNA barcoding of insects from India: Current status and future perspectives. Molecular biology reports, 1-10.
- Shashank, P.R*., Thomas, A., and Ramamurthy, V.V. 2015. DNA barcoding and phylogenetic relationships of Spodoptera litura and S. exigua (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Florida Entomologist, 98(1): 223-228.
- Shashank, P.R*., L. Saravanan., P. Kalidas., T. Phanikumar., V.V. Ramamurthy., and N.S.C. Bose. 2015. New species of the genus Acria Stephens, 1834 (Lepidoptera: Depressariidae: Acriinae) from India. Zootaxa, 3957 (2): 226-230.
- Shashank, P.R*., R. Ojha., T. Venkatesan., S.K. Jalali and K.R.M. Bhanu. 2015. Molecular characterization of brinjal shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis (Guene) (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) based on mitochondrial marker cytochrome oxidase I and their phylogenetic relationship. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 52: 51-55.
- Shashank, P.R*., A. K. Chakravarthy, Raju B. R. and Bhanu K. R. M., 2014. DNA barcoding reveals the occurrence of cryptic species in host-associated population of Conogethes punctiferalis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Applied Entomology and Zoology, 49(2): 283-295.
- Shashank, P.R*, A. K. Chakravarthy, Chandrashekaraiah and Bhanu K.R.M., 2014. Behavioural studies on Shoot and Fruit Borer, Conogethes punctiferalis Guenee (Crambidae: Lepidoptera) host-associated populations reveal occurrence of cryptic species. Entomologia Generalis, 35(2):103-115.
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- New Pest Species of Cardamom: A new species, Conogethes sahyadriensis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae), feeding by boring stem and capsules on cardamom, is described from India. The new species was discovered by diagnostic morphology as well as by molecular phylogenetic data. Maximum yield loss of up to 54% capsules and 30% dead heart is reported from new stem and capsule borer at present. (Team lead)
- First report of New Invasive Insect Pest from India and Rapid Action Plan for management Devastating South American tomato pinworm, Tuta absoluta (Meyrick, 1917) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) also known as the tomato leaf miner is identified as the most destructive invasive pests which damage the tomato yield to the extent of 50-80%. This pest is being reported for the first time in India (Team lead)
- Plusiinae of India website: Taxonomic database of subfamily Plusiinae which is one of the agriculturally important moths (Lepidoptera) group. This website provides Plusiinae species checklist, terminologies and species pages (comprising of 30 species and more than 122 diagnostic/identification images) for Indian species of Plusiinae. http://npc.iari.res.in/plusiinae/index.php (Developer)
- IARI-National Pusa Collection Website: National Pusa Collection (NPC) is an integral section of the Division of Entomology, ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. NPC holds over five lakh specimens and 22845 species serve as a national repository for insect pests of crops. http://npc.iari.res.in/ (Developer)
- Pusa Preet: A New Capsicum variety (Associate)It is developed for low-cost net house/ polyhouse/ protected structure. It is the first capsicum variety from public sector for cultivation under protected structures for North Indian plains. The fruit weight is about 85-95 g with approximate average fruit yield 2.15-2.75 kg/plant with yield potential of 5-6 t/1000 m2.
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- ESI Young Entomologist Award - 2021 from the Entomological Society of India, New Delhi, India (Competitive Award).
- Young Scientist Award - 2017 from Applied Zoologists Research Association, Cuttack, Odisha, India (Competitive Award).
- Best Trainee Award in 96 Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Services (FOCARS) at ICAR-NAARM, Hyderabad, India
- Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (DST-INSPIRE) fellow
- Department of Science and Technology (DST) Start Up Research Grant (Young Scientist).