M.Sc. : ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute
Ph.D : ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute
PG School, Faculty Disciplines : Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry
No. of Students Guided : - M.Sc : 7
Ph.D : 14
Publications (Top 10 Publications having NAAS rating 6 and above with first or corresponding author only) :
- Singh, P, Purakayastha, TJ*, Mitra, S, Bhowmik, A, Tsang, DCW (2020) River water iriigation with heavy metal load influences soil biological activities and risk factors. Journal of Environmental Management 270, 110517. (NAAS IF 14.91).
- Purakayastha, TJ*, Pathak, H, Kumari, S, Biswas, S, Chakrabarty, B, Padaria, RN, Kamble, K, Pandeya, M, Sasmal, S, Singh, A (2019) Soil health card development for efficient soil management in Haryana, India. Soil and Tillage Research 191, 294-305. (NAAS IF 13.37).
- Yadav, R, Purakayastha, TJ*, Khan, MA, Kaushik, S (2017) Long-term impact of manuring and fertilization on enrichment, stability and quality of organic carbon in Inceptisol under potato-based cropping systems. Science of the Total Environment 609, 1535-1543. (NAAS IF 16.75).
- Biswas, S, Hazra, GC., Purakayastha, TJ*, Saha, N, Mitran, T, Singha Roy, S, Basak, N, Mandal, B (2017) Establishment of critical limits of indicators and indices of soil quality in rice-rice cropping systems under different soil orders. Geoderma 292,34-48. (NAAS IF 13.42).
- Purakayastha, TJ*, Das, KC, Gaskin, J, Harris, K, Smith, JL, Kumari, S (2016) Effect of pyrolysis temperatures on stability and priming effects of C3 and C4 biochars applied to two different soils. Soil and Tillage Research 155,107-115. (NAAS IF 13.37).
- Purakayastha, TJ*, Kumari, S, Pathak, H (2015) Characterisation, stability and microbial effects of four biochars produced from crop residues. Geoderma 239-240, 293-303. (NAAS IF 13.42).
- Purakayastha,TJ*, Rudrappa, L, Singh, D, Swarup, A, Bhadraray, S (2008) Long- term impact of fertilizers on soil organic carbon pools and sequestration rates in maize- wheat-cowpea cropping system. Geoderma 144, 370-378. (NAAS IF 13.42).
- Purakayastha TJ*, Huggins, DR, Smith JL (2008) Carbon sequestration in native Prairie, perennial grass, no-till, and cultivated Palouse silt loam. Soil Science Society of America Journal 72, 534-540. (NAAS IF 8.93).
- Rudrappa, L, Purakayastha, TJ*, Singh, D, Bhadraray, S (2006) Long-term manuring and fertilization effects on soil organic carbon pools in a Typic Haplustept of semi-arid sub-tropical India. Soil and Tillage Research 88,180-192 (NAAS IF 13.37)
- Purakayastha, TJ*, Chhonkar, PK (2001) Influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (Glomus etunicatum L.) on mobilization of zinc in wetland rice (Oryza sativa L.). Biology and Fertility of Soils 33, 323-327. (NAAS IF 12.61).
Patent / Technologies / Methodologies / System etc. (Upto Five) :
- Granted COPYRIGHT (Copy Right No. SW-8955/2016) for development of Computer based Software for Decision Support System (DSS) for On-line assessment of Soil Health by Indian Copyright Office, Ministry of Human Resources, Govt. of India.
- Medium duration no-till (10 yr) combined with short intervals of conventional tillage (3 yr) followed by long-term no-till emerged as novel technology to sequester more soil organic carbon (SOC) as compared to continuous long-term no-till under wheat.
- For the first time Brassica carinata cv. DLSC 1 had been identified as the most promising phytoextractor for Zn, Pb and Ni, while Brassica juncea cv. Pusa Bold for Cu.
- The PCA with non-linear scoring functions emerged as the best protocol for development of SQIs. Established the critical limits of indicators and indices of soil quality in rice-rice cropping systems under Inceptisol, Entisol, and Alfisol.
- Developed prototype of ideal soil health card and soft ware for decision support system (DSS) for on-line assessment of soil health.
Awards / Recognitions / Fellowship (Upto Five) :
- Fellow, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (2019), Fellow, West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (2019), Fellow, Indian Society of Soil Science (2021)
- Bharat Ratna Dr. C. Subramaniam Award for Outstanding Teacher 2017 of Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Indian Agricultural Research Institute Best Teacher Award 2014
- Fulbright-Nehru Senior Research Fellowship Award 2010-2011 by USIEF and Fulbright Scholarship Board, Washington DC, USA and visited Driftmier Engineering Center, The University of Georgia, GA, USA during 1st October, 2010 to 31st March, 2011, Excellence in Science Award 2020 by the Society for Conservation of Nature
- Occasional Lecture Fund (OLF) Travel Award 2011 by U.S. Department of States, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Council of International Exchange of Scholars, New York, USA and delivered lecture at Department of Crops and Soils, WSU, Pull
- BOYSCAST Fellowship Award 2000-2001 by DST, Govt of India and visited Pacific West-Area Land Management and Water Conservation Research Unit, USDA- ARS, Washington State University, Pullman, USA during 20th March, 2000 to 16th May, 2001