Dr. B. S. Tomar
E-mail: head_veg[at]iari[dot]res[dot]in, bstomar[at]iari[dot]res[dot]in
Improvement work on vegetables started at IARI, New Delhi with the establishment of a small section of Vegetables in the erstwhile Division of Botany in the year 1940 which later became a part of the Division of Horticulture after its establishment in 1956 with the main objective to conduct research in all the major horticultural crops including vegetables and to impart post-graduate teaching. The research work was strengthened further with the creation of Division of Vegetable Crops and Floriculture in 1970. In 1982, Floriculture was separated and the Division of Vegetable Crops started functioning independently. The Division was renamed as Vegetable Science in 2004. The mandate of the Division are:
- To conduct applied and strategic research on improvement of vegetable crops
- To impart postgraduate education and training for human resource development
- To disseminate information on recent advances in vegetable crops
- To provide advisory and consultancy services on crop and seed production technology and improvement of vegetable crops.
- To collect, evaluate, purify and preserve the bio-diversity material related to different vegetable crops in collaboration with NBPGR and to utilize the desirable superior genotypes in the breeding programme.