भा.कृ.अ.प. - भारतीय कृषि अनुसंधान संस्थान | ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute

Our History

1881

Imperial Department of Agriculture

India had a history of famines during the Pre-Independence era of British rule. Therefore, on the recommendation of a Famine Commission constituted by the then Government of India in 1880 under Mr. J. A. Voeiker, an Imperial Department of Agriculture was created in 1881.

1881

1889

Scientific Group

In1889, a small scientific group was constituted with three scientists :

1.The Imperial Agricultural Chemist

2.The Imperial Cryptogamic Botanist, and

3.The Imperial Entomologist

1898

George Nathaniel Curzon

George Nathaniel CurzonIn 1898, George Nathaniel Curzon, the Viceroy and Governor General of India played a vital role in placing the Indian Agriculture on a scientific footing.

1898

December 26, 1903

Henry Phipps

Henry Phipps from USAOn December 26, 1903, Henry Phipps of the United States of America, and a close relative of Lady Curzon, made a generous donation of 30,000 pounds to set up an Agricultural Research Institute on a large government farm (measuring 1350 acres) in Darbhanga district.

April 1, 1905

IARI Foundation Stone

IARI Foundation StoneOn April 1, 1905, The Foundation stone of the Agricultural Research Institute was laid and the building was named “Phipps Laboratory” after its donor, Mr. Henry Phipps.  Locally, the building was known as “Naulakha”.  The location of the building came to be known as “PUSA”, derived from “Phipps of USA”.

April 1, 1905

1905

IARI Building

IARI Building in 1905

Phipps Laboratory, the main building of the Agriculture Research Institute founded at Pusa in 1905

1919

Emblem of the Imperial Agricultural Research Institute

IARI Emblem
In 1907, new section of Bacteriology was added to the existing five departments of the Institute. In 1911, the Institute was renamed as the Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research and in 1919 again renamed as Imperial Agricultural Research Institute.
 

1919

January 15, 1934

Earthquake at Pusa, Bihar

Earthquake at Pusa BiharOn January 15, 1934, Pusa suffered a devastating earthquake damaging the main building, which prompted the Govt. to shift the Institute to New Delhi, a task completed by the end of October, 1936

November 7, 1936

IARI at Delhi

IARI DelhiOn the November 7, 1936, the building at Delhi was inaugurated by the Marquis of Linlithgow, then Viceroy of India.

November 7, 1936

August 15, 1947

IARI Emblem, Delhi

IARI Emblem
In 1947, with the dawn of India’s Independence, the Institute was renamed as the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) It remained an Institute under the Government of India till 1966.

1958

IARI Deemed University

IARI LogoIn 1958, the Institute was conferred the status of a “deemed” university by the University Grants Commission. The administrative control of the Institute was transferred to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 1966.

1958

1960

The Green Revolution

In the 1960s, the Country faced the “ship-to-mouth” situation. The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi, was the seat of India’s ‘Green Revolution’ and “human resource development”, thereby contributing immensely to India’s food security and development. IARI continues its efforts to bring Evergreen Revolution for sustainable food, nutrition, environment and livelihood security of the country. During the last 115 years, IARI has dynamically responded to the needs andchallenges of the Nation and provided human resources and technologies to bring about a radical transformation of Indian agriculture.