Last Updated: 10 August 2016
Trainings / Extension activities
The Division organizes Field Days, Horticulture Shows and Krishi Mela every year in order to disseminate the technologies developed by the Division.
In order to have focused crop-wise outreach programmes, the Division of Floriculture and Landscaping at IARI, celebrated the year 2009-10 as Year of Gladiolus, 2010-11 as Year of Chrysanthemum, 2011-12 as Year of Seasonal flowers, 2012-13 as Year of Roses and 2013-14 as Year of Technologies. The Division has organized a Field Day on Roses during the year 2012-13 to showcase the different species / varieties of roses and educate the farmers on scientific cultivation of rose under open field and protected conditions. The visiting farmers have identified promising hybrids/mutants keeping in view the market needs and expressed eagerness to cultivate the varieties. The Division has the richest collections of roses with more than >350 species/varieties grown in a separate block for the benefit of farmers.
- Field Day on Gladiolus was organised on 02.02.2010 to showcase the gladiolus varieties evolved by the Division and educated the farmers on scientific cultivation of gladiolus to selected farmers from NCR. The visiting farmers have identified four promising hybrids keeping in view the market needs. The one day interaction also helped the farmers to learn about the latest developments in gladiolus cultivation from the experts working on gladiolus improvement entomology and pathology. One publication entitled “Gladiolus ki kheti” was released on the occasion.
|Field Day on Gladiolus
- Field Day on Chrysanthemum was conducted on 06.01.2011 to showcase the chrysanthemum varieties evolved by the division and educate the farmers on scientific cultivation of chrysanthemum to selected farmers from NCR. The visiting farmers have identified promising hybrids/mutants keeping in view the market needs and expressed eagerness to cultivate the varieties at the earliest.
|Field Day on Chrysanthemum
- The Division has organized a Field Day on seasonal flowers on 10.02.2012 to showcase the different species of seasonal flowers and educate the farmers on scientific cultivation and the use of these seasonal flowers in making value added products. The visiting ladies farmers have identified promising annual flowers for preparation of value added products and expressed eagerness to cultivate flowers and prepare floral crafts at the earliest. The Division has one of the richest collections of seasonal flowers with more than >70 species/varieties grown in a demonstration block for the benefit of farmers.
|Field Day on seasonal flowers
- The Division in collaboration with OHARA School of Ikebana, Delhi Chapter also organized “Gladiolus floral arrangement” on 17.02.2010. The Ikebana floral arrangements using gladiolus were demonstrated by experts from Ikebana Society for the benefit of audience.
- The Division in collaboration with OHARA School of Ikebana, Delhi Chapter also organized “Chrysanthemum floral arrangement” on 11.01.2011 in the IARI library premises to showcase the utility of chrysanthemum flowers in various floral arrangements which was witnessed by a large number of visitors.
- The Division of Floriculture and Landscaping, IARI conducted a short course on “Computer Aided Designs (CAD) for landscaping” from 23.08.2010 to 28.08.2010. The course was organised as a faculty up gradation training programme and was funded by the P.G. School of IARI. Division of floriculture and landscaping put the first step in organising the training which is first of its kind in India among the Agricultural/Horticultural universities.
- In order to have focused crop-wise outreach programmes, The Division of Floriculture and Landscaping at IARI, had organized two training programmes on Commercial floriculture for the benefit of farmers of the Kashmir region (Jammu & Kashmir) from 28 February -3 March, 2011 and 6-7 March,2011.
- Organized “Workshop on value addition for women of Mewat district of Haryana” held at Division of Floriculture and Landscaping, IARI, New Delhi from 8-10 February, 2012.
- Organized training on Value addition and flower product making for sustainable livelihood for farm women of village Dhani Kumbhavaas, Gurugram from12-14 March 2012.
- Organized training on Value addition and flower product making for sustainable livelihood for farm women of village Badarpur Faed, Faridabad from16-18 March 2012.
- Organized training on Value addition and flower product making for sustainable livelihood for farm women of village Rajpur Sonepat from 21-23 March 2012.
- Training cum Awareness programme on Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights sponsored by PPV&FRAwas organized during 2012
- Training on Rose Floral Arrangements for scientists and students of the division was organized during 2012
- One day dialogue on turf grass research and management on 17 December, 2013 in the Division of Floriculture and Landscaping, IARI, New Delhi-12.
- Organized Model training course on value addition in flower crops conducted by division of Floriculture and Landscaping, IARI, New Delhi from 4-11 Nov., 2013.
- Organized training for teachers of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on floriculture conducted by the Discipline of Horticulture
- Organised Model Training Course on “Avenues in Floriculture for Livelihood (11-18 Dec., 2014) funded by Directorate of Extension, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India
- Conducted Training programme for Kashmir farmers on ‘Production Technology of Flower crops from 25-29 Feb., 2016.
- Conducted training programme for Jammu farmers on Floriculture and Landscaping for Livelihood security from 20-25 March, 2016.