The Scholarships/Fellowship is offered as financial assistance to the post-graduate students at IARI. This provision is made to assist as many students as possible who have good academic record and who are making diligent efforts to pursue higher education.
No student holding IARI scholarship shall apply for or accept any other scholarship/ fellowship/ award or employment without the prior approval of the Dean.
The details of the various scholarships/ fellowships available are indicated below:
The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (hereinafter referred to as Institute) Junior and Senior Scholarship shall be awarded to M.Sc. and Ph.D. students admitted under General Open Competition Scheme on the following terms and conditions:
The Awards shall be made by the Dean and Joint Director (Education) of the Institute on the advice of the “Standing Committee on Scholarships Financial Assistance and Academic Progress”, which shall take into consideration the merit of each applicant based initially on his admission and subsequently on his performance at the Post Graduate School.
The normal duration of junior scholarships for M.Sc. course will be two years and that of senior scholarships for Ph.D. course will be three years. However, on the recommendation of the Chairperson of the student and Professor of the Division based on appraisal of the progress and details of justification for the extension needed, the period of junior/senior scholarships is extendable in exceptional cases for period not exceeding three months/six months, respectively.
In the case of SC/ST/PH students, the scholarships are extendable upto a period of six months/one year, respectively.
Value of Scholarship
The value of the M.Sc. and Ph.D. scholarship will be 7560/- and 13,125/- per month, respectively. The scholarship shall be drawn in the extension period also where such extension beyond two/three years, respectively, has been granted. The scholarship will be inclusive of all fees and other charges of the teaching institution. In addition to the monthly amount of junior/senior scholarship a contingent grant of 6,000/- per academic year for M.Sc. students, and 10,000/- per academic year for Ph.D. students will be paid towards the cost of experimental material, books, the thesis and the study tours required for the study as recommended by the Chairperson/Professor concerned.
Scholarship to the In-service Candidates/ Departmental Students
As per ICAR norms, the In-service candidates joining M.Sc./Ph.D. course on study leave/ deputation who are in receipt of study allowance/ halting allowance/deputation allowance etc. in addition to full leave salary, the scholarship amount will be adjusted so that they will get a maximum benefit of 3,000/- p.m. only in addition to full leave salary. This is in addition to the payment of contingent grant. Those in-service candidates who are not in receipt of JRF/SRF and receiving partial salary (half or leave without pay) will also be eligible to get Institute Scholarship of 3,000/- p.m. provided they are employed by ICAR/SAU system, either nominated by ICAR or selected for admission by any university and who opt to join at a place other than the one where working and provided further that the third degree is not from the same institute.
Payment of Scholarship
- A written undertaking by the student to complete the study and research work assigned to him/her by the Guide;
- A certificate that he/she is not drawing any other scholarship/fellowship and has not taken the benefit of fellowship through IARI/ICAR earlier.
- The applications of students who have completed not more than one year of study as IARI fellows may be forwarded for grant of external scholarships/fellowship.
- The students who accept external scholarships/fellowship which are available for a pe-riod shorter than the maximum period of tenability of the IARI scholarships may be granted IARI scholarships for the period of deficiency in continuation of the external scholarship/fellowship.
Extension of Scholarship/Fellowship
An application for extension of the term of scholarship will be forwarded to the Dean, Post Graduate School through the Chairperson/ Professor in the prescribed proforma (Annexure- XVII). The Dean, Post Graduate School will be the final authority to grant extension.
Termination of the Scholarship
- On the date the fellow ceases to be on the rolls of the Post Graduate School.
- On the date the fellow completes his/her study which may include submission of thesis, viva-voce and written examination.
- On the date of sanction of the scholarship expires, whichever is earlier.
- If at any time, in the opinion of the Dean, Post Graduate School, a fellow is found to be negligent in his/her work or is guilty of unbecoming conduct, with or without notice.
A Fellow will submit a copy of the thesis to the Dean, immediately after the final viva-voce examination is over for onward transmission to the IARI Library. The fellow will not be paid the last full month’s stipend without production of a certificate from the Professor that a copy of the thesis has been received for submission to the Dean, Post Graduate School.
The receipt of financial assistance from the IARI should be suitably acknowledged by the fellow in the thesis submitted by him.
A fellow will send to the Dean, Post Graduate School the particulars of the post, he/she has taken up on termination of his/her scholarship.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research has a scheme of awarding Senior Research Fellowship of the value of 15,000/- per month for first two years and 17,500/- for third year onwards for Ph.D. students with contingent grant of 10,000/- per annum, and Junior Research Fellowship of the value of 8,640/- per month for M.Sc. students with contingent grant of 6,000/
- per annum. The detailed terms and conditions of the scheme are available with the Deputy Director General (Education), Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.